My days have been crazy. busy. stressful. When I get home, all I want is a quick, no hassle meal. Oh, and I want wine. My brother in-law was nice enough to fuel my wine love by giving me 17 bottles of wine. I know – 17 bottles!!! You’d think I’d have a party but I’ve been having a great time pairing my evening meals with some nice vino.
This breakfast pizza is something you could have in the morning… but I think it’s a perfect breakfast for dinner kind of meal.
First thing you want to do is spray cooking spray on both sides of a whole wheat pita. Then season the pita with garlic salt & pepper. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. One the pita is crispy, remove from the oven. Add sliced tomatoes to the perimeter of the pita. Layer spinach and form a little circle in the middle of the pita. Crack an egg and place it in the center of the pita. It will look like this…
Can you see the egg??
Top with a few reduced fat feta cheese crumbles. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Bake time depends on how you like your egg.
Once the pizza is done, top with sun-dried tomatoes and more feta cheese crumbles.
I paired my breakfast pizza with a light, crisp wine. Yealands Sauvignon Blanc to be exact. It was perfect!
Enjoy this meal for dinner!! Or you could have it for breakfast, just skip the wine. 🙂
Veggie Breakfast Pizza, meal serves 1
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 1/2 roma tomato sliced, cut each slice in half
- 1/2 cup spinach, rough chop
- 1 egg
- Reduced fat feta cheese crumbles
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
- Set over to 350 degrees. Spray both sides of pita with cooking spray. Season with garlic salt & pepper. Bake for 8 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove pita from the oven. Top with tomatoes & spinach. Crack egg and place it in the middle of the pita. Top with a few feta cheese crumbles. Bake for 10-15 minutes. May need to bake longer if you like the egg yolk well done.
- Once pizza is done, top with more feta cheese, red pepper flakes and a few sun-dried tomatoes. Eat immediately!
I’m sure most of you have heard of quinoa and all of the benefits it has for your diet. It’s considered a superfood because it’s a whole grain that’s high in fiber & protein. It’s also gluten-free. Quinoa is a tiny grain that cooks up like rice and has a mild, nutty flavor and a light, fluffy texture similar to couscous. You can find it next to other grains in health-food stores and your supermarket.
I’ll be honest, I don’t eat quinoa enough. I’ve had a box of it sitting in my pantry since this summer. Luckily, it doesn’t go bad.
Since I made Creamy Goat Cheese & Chicken Risotto last night, I wanted an easy meal that doesn’t require me standing over a stove. And some nights, I just want a salad. A fully loaded salad, yet not a calorie bomb.
I mentioned in yesterday’s post I’m going to use the same 4 ingredients in all of my meals this week — Chicken, goat cheese, roasted red peppers and mushrooms. I think these elements will go great in a salad, but I wanted something heartier to go with it besides a bag of mixed salad greens. Then I had a “Ding! Ding! Ding” moment. I should finally use that box of quinoa in my salad.
I’m soooo glad I did! This salad was awesome! The quinoa brings a fun texture to the dish. It’s not as mushy as couscous but not as firm as rice. I added the veggies & cooked chicken towards the end of cooking the quinoa, so they stayed crisp. I ate this salad warm, but it can also be eaten cold. I had the cold version today for lunch. I added some additional lemon, olive oil and S&P. It was really good! Another option for this salad is add it to your favorite tortilla wrap — then you have a sandwich wrap!
Quinoa Salad with Chicken & Veggies (makes 3 cups of quinoa salad)
- 2 cups of chicken broth or water
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1/2 cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 roasted red pepper, diced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbs goat cheese
- Mixed salad greens
- In a saucepan, combine broth and quinoa. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover the saucepan. Let the quinoa cook for 10-15 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, add in the chicken, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, olive oil & lemon to the saucepan. Mix well and taste. Add salt & pepper if needed.
- Add goat cheese and fold into the salad.
- Place salad greens on your plate and top with quinoa. Add additional goat cheese if you like. (I did!)