I drove to Milwaukee this week for work. When you make the drive from Chicago to Milwaukee, besides passing outlet malls and firework shops, you will see a magical place. It’s a castle filled with cheese. I’m serious.
It’s impossible for me not to go into Mar’s Cheese Castle when I drive by. On this visit, I picked up a spreadable horseradish cheddar cheese. It’s very rich and has a kick. So of course, I wanted to explore other options to eat this cheese besides on your everyday Ritz.
Prime rib & horseradish is like peanut butter & jelly. Both go hand in hand. It’s been so beautiful in Chicago and I’ll jump on an opportunity to use my grill. Instead of your everyday prime rib, I asked the butcher to grind it so I could make it into burgers. A little pricy but everyone deserves a burger treat.
I like to add lots of flavor to my burgers… so in goes garlic, worcestershire, dijon mustard, crispy fried onion strings, salt & pepper with the ground prime rib.
Form your patties & fire up the grill. Let them cook 5 per side. This was the longest 10 minutes of my life.
Do you like toppings for your burger?? I do. So I caramelized some onions & mushrooms. Ooo-la-la.
Now it’s time for the assembly. This is my 2nd favorite part. Spread the horseradish cheddar over a toasted bun. Yes, I put cheese on both inner portions of the bun. Get your perfectly grilled patty on top of the bun. Top with caramelized onion & mushroom delicious-ness.
Get that top bun on and give it a longing look.
Ok, stop staring and bite in!
My favorite part is the flavor punch this burger has. It’s AMAZING! If you love horseradish, meat and onions – this is your meal… and you’ll stop thinking I’m crazy because I asked the butcher to grind prime rib.
Don’t judge me until you try it 🙂
Prime Rib Burgers – recipe will make 6 burgers
- 1 1/2 lbs of ground prime rib
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbs parsley, minced
- 6 hamburger buns
- Spreadable Horseradish Cheddar Cheese
- In a bowl, mix prime rib with the next 4 ingredients. Season with salt & pepper. Form into 6 patties.
- Pour olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Set at a low heat, add onions & mushrooms. Cook low & slow for 20 minutes. They should be nicely browned, not burnt.
- Fire up the grill and cook burgers 5 minutes per side. Take off the grill and let them rest of 5 minutes.
- Spread horseradish cheddar cheese over toasted buns. Add burger and top with caramelized onions & mushrooms.